Want to help shelter dogs?
We would love to have you!
Fill out and submit our online volunteer form HERE
All new volunteers MUST attend an orientation session.
Complete the form and our volunteer coordinator will contact you via email within 5 business days with a link to sign up for an upcoming orientation
(Our volunteer coordinator is a volunteer herself and appreciates your patience!)
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator directly at: email@example.com
*Please note that shelter volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.*
Here is a brief description of some of the areas we typically need assistance in:
1) Walking Dogs at the Athens Co. Dog Shelter: walkers provide exercise and enrichment for dogs currently being housed att the shelter. Walkers MUST attend a new volunteer training session prior to walking dogs.
2) Transporting dogs to rescue: You would transport dog(s) from Athens towards other rescues, e.g., the meeting point in Lancaster or Columbus.
3) Fundraising/special events: assist with planning, organizing, advertising, and/or attending fundraising or other special events.
4) Preparing/cleaning crates for transport: Between transports, the crates need to be cleaned/sanitized before their next use.
5) Help FOSD volunteers gather information about shelter dogs to send to rescues.
6) Taking dogs to vet appointments: You would transport dog(s) at the shelter/foster home/boarding facility to/from vet appointments.
All volunteers must have a volunteer form on file (submit your volunteer form online, see link above). This form tells us about you and what you are most interested in. It needs to be accompanied by a copy of a valid ID. To submit your valid ID, you can:
1) Email a scanned copy to FOSDvolunteer@gmail.com
2) Send a readable smartphone picture of your valid ID to FOSDvolunteer@gmail.com